Navigation

Wednesday, March 19, 2014

GRUPARD - The best GR Trackmaking Brightslap!

Sometimes you're too focused to one thing that you ditch one that you used to love. Maybe sometimes you make something out of your interest but either you have a Creator's Block or you procrastinate things that you lost your drive to make such thing. This happens to me, ALL THE TIME, especially when it comes to trackmaking in GeneRally. Trackmaking in Turbo Sliders is easy and quite straightforward, but GeneRally's is... Well, you have limited resource and you need to use those resources to make fabulous and creative things using them like most Track of the Month winners. It's actually easy, but it needs higher level of attention to detail, especially when you're aiming for that ToM quality.

Creator's Block (or in this context, Trackmaker's Block) is a sucky thing to happen, especially to me. You know you try to make a track until you're unsure how to put those concrete walls and give them a gap so the "Marshals" can "do their job when one is off course and is to retire from the race", or how to combine those office buildings to make one-of-a-kind office building without obstructing the view of the track, or even how to put trees correctly (e.g., try to make a forest that's not too dense, use combinations between two or three different trees). All these things are what makes a track ToM-worthy. Me on the other hand, is a usual victim of this. I've made lots of work-in-progress tracks but don't know how to put those things: trees, buildings, walls, even Lmap arts (if any) or Hmap works.

World Size is also a problem; most of my WIPs have a WS of 255, which might be too big for me, so to say. Knowing that I can't do big "things" I try to shift myself to do a smaller "thing" to make sure that I'm still worthy for GR trackmaking and that I can manage to make my own track. I do make tracks but they're Joint Effort Amateur tracks. I've done three tracks for them, they are a Rallycross track ACO Park, a tropical race with lots of layouts Tropico Isle, and most recently a rally course with elevations Deepwood Trail. For your information, JEA is where six persons take part in making a track. As one decided which them they are going to make, they will take turns once one is finished, and as it's finished, Bouncebackabilty, the driving force of Joint Effort concept, will do the finishing touches and everyone will get to propose a name. Sounds simple, eh?

So the answer is found: I am going to make a track with a WS of 125, which is a small but important step as I can't finish my WS 255 WIPs, and this time, a new track is born: The scorching arid road course with undulating hairpins called Grupard. The track, to be brutally honest, isn't all special: It's composed of hairpins and elevations with four pit crews and no walls that separate the main track with the pit, but it is somehow a "GeneRally-ish" track. It's a simple, no-fuss, racing track where everyone can drive, and default cars are the track's recommendation for this track. The objects used are also pretty simple; palm trees, bushes, an occassional cactus, and sunk tires. Furthermore, Hmap works are done, both on-track and as an environment.

A bunch of Generals taking the first hairpin that climbs to the second one.

I can't even find a good description due to the run-of-the-mill nature of the track, but at least convincing them that it is set in the arid is all I can do, don't know if it's enough to satisfy everyone. However, I can assure you that the track carries a simple GR style; not much tracks are GR-ish at the time of this posting. GRIF is flooded by Top Gear (a SNES game, not the show) tracks made by B@stos, real-life race tracks, and several tracks that are more than WS 125. By making this track, I can at least give an effort to make GR-ish tracks have their stand.


"This track is good. I find good, that, when I'm right, it is compatible with v1.05. And it's so simple. (y)" -RobertRacer99

"Its a good idea to make a small track. Good to see (for me) if someone makes a simple and "GRish" track like this. The tracks with big WS -in my opinion- are beatiful and needs many hours to make, but not enjoyable like small tracks. So.. Simple and efficient job, well done. :)" -david999

Though the track is far from perfect: the AI line in the second turn sucks hard Haruna volunteered via Skype in the AI line fixing. About the AI Lines, what I am afraid of them is that they would "cut" the track and run the sunk tires. You know AIs that cross sunk tires are one of those sucky things in trackmaking, right? Maybe I've developed a phobia of having AIs too close to the sunk tires when driving... Thankfully, with Haruna's help on AI lines, racing with AIs will be much more exciting, but that means it's also a brightslap too, since... Well, trackmakers use their own AI lines, right?


Make this simple arid track Grupard your keepsake to drive on. Download the course now! :)

LENDING A HAND TO LANZ


In Turbo Sliders, there's a competition run by Lanz called Puschtras Touring Masters, which is the TS rendition of Deutsche Tourenwagen Masters (or we can alternatively say German Touring Masters). It is now in its second season after a successive first season.

At the time Lanz wrote that he would love to make a new Show Event track but he couldn't because he had no idea where to place the control points. Knowing that I could figure out the CP placements and learned the track's layout, and the fact that trackmaking in TS is my niche, I lend myself a hand to Lanz saying that he can leave the new Show Event track's responsibility to me. I spent days trying to make the cleanest layout possible, and the only long delay I had while making this track is just my Typhus bed rest. After I'm able to back in action, the track is slowly showing its progress and eventually it looks like this:



Adopting the style of the previous Show Event track which is based off of the iconic Race of Champions track at Wembley Stadium (due to layout perhaps :p), I think I could pull it off with style. The placements of the sponsorships are loosely based on the video reference of the Show Event course, which is revealed to be based on the real-life Show Event which was actually held at Munich in 2012. The following screens may convince you:




I had no problems other than the minor problem of both pits, which should fit nine cars for them to watch. As this course is no Super Special stage, racing with AI is very impossible, and racing is only possible via online races where two drivers race while others can only watch. However, once again, I could pull off such thing after learning the previous Show Event track used in PTM's inaugural season. The track is now finished and is ready to be driven by some of TS's greatest drivers in the upcoming Show Event race of PTM. However, I can't release this track yet as I should let the PTM drive the track first, and the course will be released after they've done it. So, if you want to drive this track, be patient, especially knowing the fact that this track is a... *cough* Purpose-built track *cough*

ADDITIONAL ACTIVITIES


To conclude this post, I would like to let you know that I've participated in Fandom March Madness, an annual LiveJournal event where we vote for our favorite TV series characters in a series of head-to-head elimination battles whose concept is based on NCAA March Madness Basketball championship. As I can't let this blog be off-topic with a Fandom-related post that you might not like, you can check my review of this year's FMM here. The championship this year is filled with new faces conquering the bracket, and returning faces that tried to take their revenge for their last year's failure and some that tried to battle for repeat victories!

In the end, let me break the barrier a bit with a new DVD collection of mine...

Blame Fandom March Madness for all these :p

And one more, which is an obligatory drawing of someone special... I know I should've put this and all my other drawings to my deviantART but well...

ONORE... DECADE~!!! SCOTT MCLAUGHLIN~!!! /narutakimodeon

~[R]

No comments:

Post a Comment